Pages

Annabelle Movie Review


A couple begin to experience terrifying supernatural occurrences involving a vintage doll shortly after their home is invaded by satanic cultists.

Around October I always become so eager to see if there are any new horror movies releasing in theaters. I usually don't have luck with many newly released horror films but I was pretty excited to see Annabelle when I heard it was coming out in the beginning of the month. It took me awhile to see it but I finally did and I thought I'd let you know my thoughts.

SPOILERS AHEAD


Going into the movie, I had pretty high hopes. Annabelle is supposed to be a prequel to The Conjuring which came out last October. I saw it in theaters and I really loved it, so I felt that Annabelle would hopefully live up to The Conjuring!

Within the first 10 minutes there is a home invasion and a murder, so I was excited by the fact that it had such a strong opening and hoped that it would continue throughout. However, about 40 minutes in I started getting incredibly bored. A few things had happened here and there but nothing that was big or actually scary! As it started reaching the more critical parts of the movie where they are trying to figure out how to get rid of the demon and save their child it just became pretty predictable. There were a few occurrences and effects that I liked but it just didn't scare me or intrigue me.

So, overall, I guess I would have to say that Annabelle was an "okay" movie. It wasn't scary, it was creepy at some points but not enough to make me pay attention. I just felt very bored and disappointed. Honestly, the scariest thing about the whole film was the loud music they would play during a "scary" part, so I guess that's not saying much. It wasn't really a bad movie, the acting was fine, it was well-made and the special effects looked great. I just feel like they could have done a LOT more to make this so much better and that maybe it was rushed after all the success The Conjuring had? Maybe?


If you have seen Annabelle what were your thoughts on it? Did you think it was scary? 

23 comments :

  1. I loved The Conjuring and I would love to see this! Great post
    xoxo

    www.randomindistilling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movies, wasn't that scary I agree conjuring was pretty creepy!!

    Please let me know if you would be interested in following eachother on GFC.Would love to stay in

    contact.

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the movie was good, just didn't stand a chance against The Conjuring!

      Delete
  3. It was as scary as any Supernatural episode... I was desappointed by the really long "emotional" sequences that took too much time during the movie. But I have to admit that it was a pretty funny movie - the elevator gag got me laughing so HARD ! - and the horror movie codes were respected. It could have bee worse regarding the filmography of director John R. Leonetti...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been MUCH worse. But the thing is, they could have also made it a lot better! I totally agree with it being as scary as a Supernatural episode!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved The Conjuring but have read many disappointing reviews on Annabelle, might just download this for a watch. :-/

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd probably be the best idea to do that! I loved The Conjuring as well, which is why I was so excited about Annabelle! A disappointing prequel though.

      Delete
  5. I was so disappointed with Annabelle. Especially after seeing the Conjuring. The only part that really freaked me out was the elevator and when she was running up the stairs
    Reinventing Neesha ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few creepy parts! But overall I feel like there was more slow scenes than anything.

      Delete
  6. I really can't wait to watch this! I'm a sucker for horror movies.
    Marissa Jamie : Faithfully, Marissa ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Conjuring totally freaked me out and I am a huge horror movie fan. I thought it was one of the better horror flicks that had come out in a long time so I was hesitant to see Annabelle but now I think I could handle it. That doll is absolutely creepy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I thought The Conjuring was a great horror film! The doll definitely is creepy, I wish they could have carried that creepiness throughout the film though.

      Delete
  8. i love the conjuring, and quite gutted i'm hearing bad reviews about the movie already? :(

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people were expecting more in Annabelle since The Conjuring was so good. It's not a bad movie, just not really scary! While watching it, it felt more like a drama.

      Delete
  9. I had already made up my mind to wait and watch this at home when it became available. I loved The Conjuring and just recently watched it again. I had a feeling this might be a let down. The previews didn't even excite me. Thanks for sharing about the movie. I'll buy the DVD when it comes out and add it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this a couple of days ago and I agree that it was a bit disappointing! I really enjoyed the beginning of the film, but I found it went downhill and wasn't very scary at all.
    sammy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't! Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought so though!

      Delete
  11. I've heard such mixed reviews about this film, seems slightly disappointing! X

    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, from your review, it seems like "Annabelle" is the type of horror that isn't really a horror, and relies on cheap shots (loud music, startling the audience, etc.) to create a commotion, instead of intriguing storylines and good direction.
    ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found parts of it scary - esp. the scene in the basement! But then they took it too far, stretched it for too long and threw in some monsters ... Whenever a demon appears, it just becomes ridiculous to me ...

    ReplyDelete