Monday, February 2, 2015

Gone Girl | Book Review


Gone Girl is the first book that I have picked up and read all the way through so far this year. I usually don't read the books that have a ton of hype around them because I am often left disappointed. But I kept hearing people rave on and on about this book, and lot of people that I know and trust their opinions greatly! So, I finally decided to pick it up and give it a chance.

Also, this review doesn't contain any spoilers to the unraveling of the story!

Gone Girl is about a man named Nick Dunne and his wife Amy. When she suddenly turns up missing on their 5 year wedding anniversary there are so many questions but no answers. As Nick is frantic to find his wife and all fingers are pointing at him, you see the story through his eyes, with excerpts from Amy's diary, in the search to find out what truly happened to her.

The story starts off pretty quick, about 30 pages in Nick's wife disappears and in sets the paranoia and worry. The book constantly throws hints at you that even leaves you convinced the story is one way, when really it's the complete opposite. I also found it very unique that you are seeing things through the eyes of Nick and Amy's diary entries, AND they aren't always telling the truth. So I thought that was an interesting way to tell the story.

There is a pretty huge twist in this story and once I got to it I was actually surprised. It's one of those things that crosses your mind when you're trying to figure out the ending to a story but you think "No, they wouldn't do that. That is WAY too crazy and it just wouldn't work." Well, Gillian Flynn doesn't follow the rules and she makes it work. The only con I can think of is that once I passed the big twist in the plot line I got kind of bored. It just seemed like the last half dragged on a bit and once you finish the book you feel like it was a bit lackluster. I had the feeling of "I went through that crazy ride, all of those awful things happened, and THAT'S how you're leaving me?" I do understand why the book ended that way, but I just wish it was different.


Or if reading it isn't you're idea of fun, the movie is pretty good too! They did a great job casting Nick and Amy (Ben Affleck is exactly how I would imagine Nick) and I feel like they captured the crazy story really well.

Overall, I really would recommend reading it if you're interested. It's a well written book but it's also a pretty quick read. It's very entertaining and even the though ending is a bit annoying, I don't think it's a waste of time. Not the best book I've read, but I enjoyed it!


Have you read Gone Girl? If so, how did you like it?


30 comments on "Gone Girl | Book Review"
  1. I want to read this! Great review

    Mel
    http://www.girlandthepolkadot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review makes a lot of sense! I think with those twist endings a writer should hit the reader with the surprise and quickly end the book and leave them numb, dragging it on can get too boring after we've been "fulfilled" so to speak. But this is a great review, and I really want to read the book!

    rebekahkoontzsite.com // US Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I refused to read this for the longest time (because ERRRYONE and their dog was reading it), but then I saw a snapshot of a kindle and a quote on Instagram that really caught my attention - the writing style was all sorts of brilliant. So I typed the quote into Google and voila, it turned out to be Gone Girl.
    So I caved in and don't regret it - if only for the fantastic language and wordings.

    You're spot on about passing the big reveal and sort of going, what now? though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely some great lines in this book. I really think that Gillian is a great writer!

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie recently and I loved the story!! It had so many great plot twists and the actors (specially Rosamund Pike) did a great job. I would definitely love to read the book!

    Fabi | www.agirlandherstripes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was fabulous and beautiful! I was pleasantly surprised with the movie.

      Delete
  5. A must read for sure! Great review!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you liked Gone Girl I highly recommend Gillian Flynn's other books. Her others are more creative stories, in my opinion, and I think you're going to love them. The book Dark Places is my favorite from her. Check it out!!

    Batty4Beauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The movie was amazing !!!!!!!! Watched it last year in the cinema

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually really like dthe book too, though it could come up a bit pretentious at times, It was surprisingly a light read. The story just grabs you and pulls you in and the plot twists were really great. Excellent review :)

    Allie I RainyAllie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. I absolutely loved the book.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this, but I do want to. Think I am going to put in a request at the library. :)

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was REALLY hoping the movie would change the ending a bit. UGH. But I loved the book! I thought it was pretty different and loved the twists.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I really enjoyed your book review and completely agree with the point you're making. I don't usually write many reviews on my blog, but after reading "Gone Girl" I just couldn't resist. Since then, I read Gillian Flynn's first two books, and she's an incredibly talented writer, despite writing about unlikeable, flawed, and downright crazy people. Not an easy thing to pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so agree with this! After the massive plot twist, I was so disappointed. I felt like Gillian Flynn got bored and decided, "Screw it, I'll finish this later." I wish there had been more of a resolution.

    Lovely review!

    www.whiteonblonde.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The film was pretty amazing , I couldn't believe it lol. I want to read the book too . xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh the twist sounds intriguing. I LOVED Sharp Objects and Dark places, I think I like Dark Places even more, Gillian Flynn is a genius horror writer. I never gave Gone Girl a shot as it sounded pretty boring but I keep hearing rave reviews too.
    The Pink Fox

    ReplyDelete
  16. i watched the movie and it was great, but thanks to your review i want to pick up a copy and read for myself too. great review luv

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is definitely better than the movie, but the film did a wonderful job as well!

      Delete
  17. i watched the movie with my dormmates and the entire movie woke a rollercoster of emotions in me. It was amazing yet disturbing! i should try and read the book sometime soon
    xo
    Orly
    coffeebeansandhighheels.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the movie you definitely should try the book!

      Delete
  18. This book is on my to read list and I cannot wait!

    Beka. xo
    littleworldofbeka

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read it yet, but I'll download it into my Kindle! :o)
    Thanks for the review. <3
    ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I loved the movie but i haven't read the book yet.
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so wanted to like this book but I just could not get over the last plot twist and the whole time I was left thinking what did I miss. Everyone had been raving about it and I was left totally unfulfilled. Great review!

    www.freedupgirl.com

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature